Post Secondary School/University Information

UVic Admissions Update

Picture of Cammie Watson
UVic Admissions Update
by Cammie Watson - Tuesday, 5 May 2020, 12:43 PM

A message to school counsellors from UVic Student Recruitment Officer, Stephanie Parker-Huskinson:

As we all continue to support students from home, I wanted to reach out and offer a few updates from UVic.

1.       May 1 Acceptance Deadline – students who received an early offer of admission were asked to accept their offer by May 1.  If a student has not accepted their offer by the deadline, they may still do so by paying the $200 acceptance deposit.  For competitive programs, like Kinesiology, students who have not accepted their offer may see an expired admission offer in their application portal.  If you have a student with an expired offer, please ask them to contact their Admissions Assistant to request the offer to be reinstated.  These offers will be reopened as long as the program has not filled.

2.       May Download of Grades – the Ministry download of interim grades will be sent to our Admissions Office in the coming week.  All students who have an application on hold will be considered for their second choice of program or an alternate program (typically Social Science or Humanities).  Admission offers will begin to go out in mid-May and students will have a June 1 deadline to accept their offer.  If a student did not request their transcript from STS or if their transcript does not reflect the required courses for their program, the student will receive an email notification from our Admissions Office.  I anticipate these students will reach out to you with questions.  Please feel free to direct the student to their Admissions Assistant or myself.

3.       Academic Advising – our Advising Offices have now moved into the phase where they focus on newly admitted students in preparation for course registration that will open in mid-June.  Students can contact the advising office within their faculty to set-up a phone or virtual appointment (please note that not all faculties can offer virtual meetings at this time).  While an advising appointment can be quite helpful for students, it is important that they look at course planning resources prior to their appointment.  

4.       Registration 101 Webinars – we have expanded our online offerings of Reg 101 as we are not able to host on-campus presentations during Destination UVic or in-school presentations.  These webinars are a good starting point for all new students who wish to learn about the course planning, building a timetable and using the registration system.  Students will receive an email invitation to sign up for one of the webinar sessions offered from May 19-May 29.  Please encourage your students to sign up online.  There are several webinars for domestic students, in addition to some focused on international students.

I am receiving questions about the Fall term from your students.  As of today, UVic has not announced their decision for the Fall term but I do anticipate an announcement in the coming weeks.  I will send another update to the Island counsellors near the end of the month with any further information to ensure you are kept in the loop.  Please continue to reach out if you have questions.  I am available to meet with students by phone or virtual meetings.  If you feel your Grade 12 students would benefit from a virtual Q&A, I am happy to set that up as well.

Healthy wishes,

Stephanie

Stephanie Parker-Huskinson, BA
Student Recruitment Officer

Division of Student Affairs

University of Victoria

T 250-472-4564

F 250-472-4031
Email stephanieparker@uvic.ca

www.uvic.ca