Post Secondary School/University Information

Happy New Year from UVic's Gustavson School of Business!

Picture of Cammie Watson
Happy New Year from UVic's Gustavson School of Business!
by Cammie Watson - Monday, 9 January 2023, 12:39 PM

Coop Careers_Header 1

Happy New Year! It's Julia here from the Gustavson School of Business.  I hope you all had a relaxing holiday break and are having a great start to the new year.   

Some exciting news from UVic, we have recently opened new student housing residences and our biggest dinning hall on campus. This new residence building will provide nearly 800 student housing spaces and is built within a green building footprint! Another important reminder, all high school graduates will receive guaranteed first year housing on our campus. 
Our co-op program has also had another successful year, here is a student that recently completed one of their co-ops:

Olivia Olivia (BCom, 2022)

Olivia recently did her fourth-year co-op with WildPlay Element Park as a Videographer intern. During her co-op, Olivia had the opportunity to create a commercial for CTV, movie theatre pre-show advertisements, and practice her social media marketing skills by developing viral TikTok Videos. Olivia states “I can honestly say this co-op has been the most valuable experience towards my future career to date. I have never experienced such a welcoming and genuine culture among employees, WildPlay is not your average workplace for all the right.”     

Rachel Rachel (BCom, 2020)

One of our Gustavson Alumni, Rachel, is continuing to work in the sustainably impact field as a Senior Analyst in sustainability investing for Manulife Investment Management. In her role, she presents strategies for companies to change their investing patterns to be more sustainable focused. She worked in sustainable investing for two of her work terms with BCI and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan. Rachel states “doing co-op is extremely important because it opened so many doors for my post-grad career and allowed me to discover the field I was passionate about.  

Finally, we have an upcoming “Faculty Spotlight Event” for students and parents that will take place on March 1st over zoom. More details regarding this event will be coming by the end of this month. A friendly reminder that the deadline to apply is January 31st, 2023. If students have any questions or would like to book a one-on-one advising appointment with me, please provide them with my email bcomrecruit@uvic.ca. As well, I am hosting Zoom information sessions every Wednesday from 5:30 pm - 6:30pm PST to provide an overview of the program and application progress. If you can think of any students and/or parents that would be interested please forward them this link  Click here to register.

Best regards,

Julia Greer 
BCom Recruitment and Advising Officer  
Gustavson School of Business
University of Victoria  
bcomrecruit@uvic.ca