Post Secondary School/University Information

UVic - Latest Updates

Picture of Cammie Watson
UVic - Latest Updates
by Cammie Watson - Monday, 16 November 2020, 12:15 PM

A message to schools from Stephanie Parker-Huskinson - UVic Student Recruitment: 

The fall season has been quite busy, even though I haven’t been on the road.  I have been able to connect with many of your students through email, phone, Zoom meetings and the virtual events we are offering.  Please continue to promote the UVic virtual events as we keep adding new offerings and dates.

There are a few key updates I want to let you know about.

1.      Our office has received questions regarding self-reporting and online courses.  With the change in how many high school courses are offered this year, I wanted to give you some clarity on how students can expect to self-report their courses between February 15 and March 15.

a.      Classes taught at a student’s school will be self-reported as they have in the past.  Students can use final grades if they have completed the course or they can use a predicted final grade for in-progress courses.  With the quarter or eighth system at many BC schools, students can still use the courses that start after the self-reporting window and they will use a predicted final grade.  If all or a portion of the course is taught remotely, they can use that course to self-report similar to their other school courses.

b.      For online or DL courses, students must have 50% or more of the course complete to be able to use it for self-reporting.  Online and DL courses should be completed by May 31.  This recommended deadline is given to ensure that all coursework can be graded and a final grade will be submitted to the Ministry of Education in time to appear on the student’s final transcript that we receive in July.

2.      Our office is currently planning several Self-Reporting 101 virtual sessions where we will walk students through the self-reporting process and discuss next steps.  Dates will be posted on the Events page in the coming weeks.

3.      With the change in how classes are offered this year, I am receiving more inquiries about starting UVic classes early.  We do offer the Accelerated Entry program that allows high school students to take UVic courses.  With many UVic undergraduate courses offered online for the Summer term, this allows students in all areas of the province to take advantage of this program.  Students are able to take up to two UVic courses per term while they are in high school.  The deadline to apply for Accelerated Entry for the Summer term is March 31, 2021.  If you have questions about Accelerated Entry, please feel free to reach out to our Admissions Coordinator, Leona Locke (admsofficer1@uvic.ca).  

As always, you are welcome to share my contact information with interested students and parents.  I am happy to help you support your students.

Cheers,

Stephanie

Stephanie Parker-Huskinson, BA

Student Recruitment Officer

University of Victoria  |  uvic.ca
250-472-4564
stephanieparker@uvic.ca