Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre Field Trip (Ages 16-18)
When? Friday, February 28th to Monday, March 2nd, 2020 - Registration Deadline January 15!
Contact/To Apply: Rhiannon Cockayne (SIDES) - email@example.com
How much? The actual cost is about $600 per student (3 nights, food, accommodation, & program costs incl 2 boat trips), but we have some sponsorship in the works that may reduce the cost to $300 per student. If the cost is prohibitive, please let Rhiannon know as we want all interested to have to opportunity to join us on this trip.
NOTE: The days are VERY busy, and students will be engaged from 7 am until 9-10 pm (with time for meals, of course!)
Why all the excitement?
Saanich is looking to continue a proud SD63 tradition of offering a field trip experience to the world-renowned Bamfield Marine Science Centre in Bamfield, BC on the west coast of Vancouver Island.
- Observation of intertidal areas of open, rocky shores and sandy beaches
- Intertidal studies of mussel/barnacle communities
- The natural history of bays and mudflats
- Planktonic collection and microscopic examination
- The natural history of docks and pilings
- Open ocean dredging and otter trawling to examine subtidal sea life
- Laboratory observations of field collections
- Laboratory work with marine organisms in display tanks and seawater tables
- Laboratory studies of behaviour, physiology, taxonomy, etc of specific groups of marine organisms
- Slide shows of fieldwork
- Tour of local fishing community and boardwalk
- Observation of sea birds, eagles, sea lions and maybe some whales.