The Gardens at HCP (https://hcp.ca/) is a public garden and place of learning in Saanich. The HCP is a not-for-profit society focused on the provision of horticulture education and the development and maintenance of 104 acres of educational gardens and conservation lands. We are currently looking for someone to help fill the summer employment position of Gardens Assistant from June 30 – August 25th, Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM. The successful candidate will work with the Head Gardener as well as other staff and volunteers in the garden.
THE GARDENS ASSISTANT DUTIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Gardening assistance in any of our beautiful 9 acres of gardens. The Gardens Assistant will work with staff and volunteers to help develop these gardens over the 8 week work term.
- Assisting with mowing lawns, weeding, irrigation systems & watering.
- Maintaining the plant sale area ensuring that it is well stocked, water, priced and informational signs are displayed.
- Act as Volunteer Liaison during volunteer Wednesday, relaying information from gardens staff to volunteer groups, assist volunteers where required.
This position is a Canada Summer Job funded through Service Canada. Applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
The successful candidate must be available to work weekends and be able to lift and carry 20 lbs as well as work in a physical environment outside all day. Biology, plant, or gardening knowledge is an asset.
35 hours per week / $15 per hour. Please submit a cover letter and resume with references to Linda Petite at email@example.com by May 31st.