Post Secondary School/University Information

Attn: Students Interested in Science/Medicine: UVic's Beautiful Mind Event: Nov 2

Picture of Cammie Watson
Attn: Students Interested in Science/Medicine: UVic's Beautiful Mind Event: Nov 2
by Cammie Watson - Thursday, 19 October 2023, 8:59 AM

A message to schools, from Jessica Skelton, UVic Communications Coordinator, Division of Medical Sciences:

Hello!

My name is Jessica Skelton, and I am the communications coordinator for the University of Victoria’s Division of Medical Sciences (UVic DMS). I wanted to let you know about The Beautiful Mind, an upcoming DMS event that may be of interest to your students who are curious about pursuing a career in science and research.

The Beautiful Mind is a TED-style event that shows how entwining STEM and EDI can help make science accessible to everyone. Through short, fun, and easy-to-understand presentations, your students will learn about how our young researchers are helping to Indigenize neuroscience education, develop more effective brain disorder treatments, and curb cognitive decline associated with aging. They’ll also hear from keynote speaker Dr. Andrea Gomez (Assistant Professor at UC Berkeley), who will speak about her personal journey through neuroscience.

When: Thursday, November 2, 2023

Time: 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. (speakers); optional in-person reception to follow

Where: UVic MSB 150 & Zoom

Cost/RSVP: Free; get in-person or online tickets at beautifulmindnov2023.eventbrite.com

Who: Everyone is welcome (including guardians, teachers, and counsellors)

Warmest regards,

Jessica Skelton (she/her)

Communications Coordinator | Division of Medical Sciences

Admissions/Communications Coordinator | Island Medical Program

University of Victoria