Retail Meat Processing, Foundation
THIS PAGE IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
Retail Meat Processing, Foundation
Saanich’s 3-prong vision for any trade bound student is: Graduation, successful completion of Level One technical training, and becoming indentured as a Youth Work In Trades apprentice.
- The Retail Meat Processing Foundation, Certificate program is 9 months long, starting in September
- The only one of its kind in BC, this nine-month program prepares you for a career as a meat cutter in custom cutting, sausage and curing operations,supermarkets and megamarkets. Instruction includes 80% hands-on and 20% theory, with work-experience placements at businesses across the province. Apprenticeship Level 1 & 2 also available.
- The program focuses on productivity training and the business factors of the meatcutting industry. There is specialized training in the accuracy of cutting, knife handling, portion control, merchandising and the utilization of all products. Safety, sanitation, punctuality and personal appearance are stressed throughout.
Thompson Rivers University, Kamloops
Post Secondary Partner:
Thompson Rivers University
All South Island Partnership Programs are available to any Saanich “school aged” student registered in any Saanich District school and meeting the prerequisites for the specific program.
- Grade 10 (or equivalent) or Mature Student Status (Grade 12 preferred)
- Food Safe Level 1
- Successful entry assessment
- Interview and orientation with the Program Instructor
Successful completion of the school-based component of a Youth Train In Trades Automotive Service Technician program (eg “Auto-Tech”)
Relevant Work Experience: a minimum of 120 hours of directly related work experience
Registered Youth Apprentice (Youth WORK In Trades) with Industry Training Authority of BC
Substantial (800 to 1000) hours of relevant Work-Based Training logged as a youth apprentice in industry
Students must meet with their school based Career Counsellor to initiate the application process. They must complete a current Thompson Rivers University “program application” package, ensure they meet the minimum prerequisites, and complete a three/four year transition plan. Once the student’s application has been accepted and the student has been offered a seat in the program of choice, the student will be supported to complete an online Thompson Rivers University Registration where they will pay the application fee of $29.25.
- Students will earn credit for 2 “dual credit” Retail Meat Processing Technician courses equalling 8 credits toward graduation
- Retail Meat Processing Foundation, PSIV 12A and PSIV 12B
Materials / Equipment / Cost:
- There is no tuition cost, but students are required to pay an application fee of $29.25.
- In keeping with our vision for a trade bound student, we ultimately want to see the student become indentured as an apprentice in industry. For some students this may happen before attending their first session of technical training, and for some it may occur following their Level One or Foundation training. In either case the student will be required to spend significant time in industry involved in Work-Based Training before returning for the next level of Technical Training. This “time on tools” varies by trade from 1000 to approximately 2000 hours until all levels of Technical Training have been successfully completed and all required Work-Based Training hours have been logged.
- For Retail Meat Processing Foundation there are four Levels and the apprentice must log 6360 hours of WBT to complete his/her apprenticeship.
Link to website: